Diamond Property Management Newsletter
Changes for rental properties
From 1st July 2016
The Residential Tenancies Act is to be strengthened with new
Requirements for Insulation and Smoke Alarms.
These changes will create new requirements for insulation and smoke alarms in all residential tenancies from 1st July 2016:
- all rental properties will be required to have smoke alarms
- all new tenancy agreements will need to include a statement of the extent and safety of insulation in the property
- any replacement or installation of insulation in a rental property must meet the required standard
- the installation of electrically conductive insulation products (such as reflective foil products) will be banned by the regulations
- all social houses where the tenant pays an Income Related Rent must have underfloor and ceiling insulation meeting the required standard where it can be practically installed.
- strengthened “retaliatory notice” provisions, to increase tenants’ confidence in exercising their rights, together with strengthened enforcement provisions for the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment to act in the most serious cases
- changes to enable faster resolution of tenancy abandonment cases, to allow rental properties to be re-let more quickly.
From 1 July 2019
Back to Diamond Property Management Newsletter
- all rental properties have underfloor and ceiling insulation meeting the required standard where it can practically be installed.