Posted 31 Oct 2016

Landlords and Tenants both need insurance

Landlords should insure their rental property against any damage, either accidental or otherwise. Tenants can arrange their own insurance to protect their contents and liability for damage to the landlord’s property.

Landlords need insurance to cover damage

If you’re a landlord, make sure your insurance covers the property, and that the cover is for a rental property. The Residential Tenancies Act 1986 requires you to pay the premiums charged for that insurance.
Check exactly what your policy covers. Some insurers cover issues to do with tenancy (for example, vacancy periods and damage by the tenant).
Talk to your insurance company about their requirements for making claims. Some insurers need landlords to prove they’ve completed a thorough tenancy selection process before honoring damage claims.
You may also choose to insure any chattels (such as furniture) that are listed in the tenancy agreement. Any damage to them won’t be covered by the tenant’s contents insurance.

Tenants should consider getting insurance to cover belongings and damage

If you’re a tenant, it is recommended that you get insurance. Your landlord’s insurance policy doesn’t protect your belongings.
You may be liable for any damage you or your invited guests cause.
Even if you aren’t named on the tenancy agreement, you should consider getting a:

  •  contents insurance policy to protect your belongings
  •  Personal liability policy to protect you in certain situations.

Tenants should seek further information from an insurer about what protections they can receive from personal liability insurance.

More insurance information

Speak to insurance companies directly for details on their policies.

Back to Diamond Property Management Newsletter